Click the below button to view the December 2019 version of the DGP newsletter.
In 2019 the UKDSC advanced its Cross-Sector Innovation (CSI) initiative within the subsea domain, through extensive engagement and support from a number of industry and government bodies including MOD, Royal Navy, DASA, UKRI-Innovate UK, SUBSEA UK, NSRI, BP, OGTC, OGA and the Offshore Energy Sector (OES). Theses engagements have been successful and has led to the launch of the Cross Sector Innovation (CSI) – Subsea Autonomous Systems: Next Generation Technologies
The subsea autonomous systems CSI will address specific opportunities to deliver joint benefit to both the Defence and Offshore sectors by developing, jointly through their supply chains, a range of innovative emerging and enabling technology solutions. As a result, £6.1m of funding has been made available by the various interlocutors to initiate a specific Innovation competition. In summary, detailed dialogue between the major Offshore Energy companies and the Royal Navy (RN) have identified a shared appetite to deliver disruptive solutions around four distinctive enabling technology within the Subsea autonomous systems areas as follows:
- Power & Communications
- Sensors, Detection, Navigation, Processing and Data Fusion
- Deployment and Modularity
COMPETITION SUMMARY: UK Research and Innovation’s (UKRI) Robots for a Safer World challenge, is working with The Royal Navy, the Oil & Gas Technology Centre, BP and the Oil & Gas Authority on a new £6 million competition for business-led projects. Successful applicants will gain a place on a 5-day collaborative workshop to develop their proposals, then submit their final innovative and commercially viable new ideas.
The competition details are as follows:
Expressions of interest Opens – 13 Jan 2020
- Competition Briefing Event 1 – 23 January, London Hallam Conference Centre, 44 Hallam Street, London, W1W 6JJ (Note this will also be a webinar session that will be posted to Innovate UK’s website)
- Competition Briefing Event 2 – 30 January, Scotland the studio…67 Hope Street, Glasgow, G2 6AE
Expressions of Interest Close – 12 Feb 2020
5 Day Residential Collaborative Workshop – 20th to 24th April 2020
Further information will be provided through the UKDSC COI Portal/Website and shall be signposted through the RN Website, DASA Website, OGTC’s Website and Subsea UK’s as well as being available on Innovate UK’s website.
Please feel free to distribute this information further within your organisations to ensure maximum awareness and participation of your members.
Monday 18th November saw the launch of DSEI Japan, the first integrated defence show in the country and the first time the DSEI brand has been used outside of London.
DSEI Japan attracted twenty-six British companies, including a large selection of DGP companies. The show attracted around 1,000 attendees from the Japanese MOD as well as a strong international presence from the defence industry and several international delegations. We also had several senior stakeholders who delivered opening remarks and attended the show.
The DGP supported the event in many ways;
- In the run-up to the show, the UKDSC ran many sessions with Japanese industry to share approaches to international exhibitions and marketing plans to maximise presence.
- A Defence Industry Dialogue (DID) was hosted and a portion of the session dedicated to workshop-style discussions on potential collaborative areas. This was greeted positively by both British and Japanese Industry.
- UKDSC participated in a panel session as part of the DSEI Japan conference programme and presented at the British Embassy Defence Seminar giving further information on the DGP construct and how we work collaboratively with UK Government as one team.
- DGP also sponsored a highly regarded RUSI Seminar.
DSEI Japan was widely hailed as a success, with the DGP Companies seeing the show as a positive way to engage with Japanese companies as well as the domestic MOD.